Erected in 1884 as the New York Mercantile Exchange, 6 Harrison Street falls under New York City Landmarks Preservation Commission (LPC) jurisdiction as part of the Tribeca West Historic District and FISP Local Law 11.
Main façades underwent a full restoration of several terracotta capitals and imposts, cast iron spandrels and window frames, and granite cornices and water tables. The original slate roof was replaced with new slate and tied into the restored Yankee gutter system and masonry chimney. Additionally, the top twenty feet of the original clock tower and cupola were fully reconstructed due to excessive deterioration. Lastly, all existing windows were removed and replaced with new wood windows. HLZAE supervised all aspects of restoration and repairs closely with the Landmarks Preservation Commission, from initial filing through the construction phase ending at project completion and punch-listing.