Located on the south-west corner of Franklin Place, 55 White Street (1861; James Kellum & Son) was deemed sufficiently handsome by iron founder Daniel D. Badger to display its façade in his 1865 catalogue. At the time, the building had keystones crowning the tall arches, Corinthian capitals atop its columns, and faceted quoins on the pier at the corner of Church Street. Early occupants were Samuel L. and Elliot Condict, who ran a large saddlery here; in later years draper and textile firms occupied the space. The building was designated a New York City landmark in 1988.
Aside from a thorough building-wide waterproofing program, the cast iron façade underwent a complete restoration. The majority of the cast iron elements were removed, restored in shop, and reinstalled upon completion. Missing scrolls and floral elements were replaced with fiberglass matching the exact detail of the original. The entire façade was then coated to match the original color. Additionally, all historic wood façade windows were stripped to bare wood, repaired, and painted to match the original condition as well. HLZAE closely monitored all aspects of the restoration and repairs under the guidelines of the Landmarks Preservation Commission.