Erected in 1867, as indicated at the existing engraved cornice sandstone plaque, 40 Lispenard Street falls under New York City Landmarks Preservation Commission (LPC) jurisdiction as part of the Tribeca East Historic District.
The building’s main façade suffered from negligence and lack of proper maintenance and restoration for the last 60 years. The main façade underwent full restoration of its sandstone elements, with missing sheet metal cornice elements and the deteriorated sheet metal water table replaced with matching fiberglass. Additionally, all windows were replaced with new, energy efficient wood windows and a new storefront was approved by LPC for installation.
HLZAE supervised all aspects of restoration and repairs closely with the LPC, from initial filing through the construction phase ending at project completion and punch-listing.