108 Leonard Street/346 Broadway is an individual landmark building, designed by Stephen D. Hatch and McKim, Mead & White in the neo-Italian Renaissance style, and was constructed between 1894 and 1898 as the headquarters for the New York Life Insurance Company. In 2014 EL AD US Holding, Inc. purchased the building from the City of New York and undertook a project to convert the 12-story commercial building to a 14-story, multi-unit residential building with commercial spaces along the street level and new penthouse additions at the rooftop.
Our work consisted of survey, repair, and selective reconstruction and replacement of the ornate original Tuckahoe marble façade components on all facades and rooftops including the clock tower. Full reconstruction of the 12th floor water table, which had been removed decades earlier, was done partially from original pieces found on site on the south elevation. Restoration of the cast iron storefront and repair and replacement of brick masonry and terra cotta components were necessary, along with new copper cladding of the rooftop pavilion. HLZAE worked closely with the client team and design architect over eight years to restore the envelope in compliance with guidelines of the Landmarks Preservation Commission.