RESOURCES / LOCAL LAWS
Local Law 126:
Periodic Inspection of Parking Garages
Local Law 126 aims to protect the public from parking structure failure and improve regular and routine maintenance of facilities. This legislation is designed to guarantee the safety of individuals within structures, particularly in areas of heightened vulnerability, such as densely populated cities with high-rise buildings.
Since 1/1/22, owners of parking structures are required to hire a NYC licensed and registered Professional Engineer (PE) to inspect the parking structure at least once every six years and file a report with the Department of Buildings (DOB) documenting the results of the inspection that include:
- Buildings, or portions of a building, used for parking or storing motor vehicles, including space inside or under a building
- Open parking garages and enclosed parking garages as defined in the NYC Building Code
This law applies to:
- Open & enclosed structures, including Municipal, State Owned, Commercial & Residential
- Structures inside or under a building
Dates & Deadlines
|Manhattan||1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7||January 1, 2022||December 31, 2023|
|Manhattan||8, 9, 10, 11, 12||January 1, 2024||December 31, 2025|
|Brooklyn||Brooklyn||January 1, 2024||December 31, 2025|
|Bronx||Bronx||January 1, 2026||December 31, 2027|
|Queens||Queens||January 1, 2026||December 31, 2027|
|Staten Island||Staten Island||January 1, 2026||December 31, 2027|
How We Can Help
HLZAE is here to help you evaluate your structure and prepare for potential repairs. Our in-house Qualified Parking Structures Inspectors (QPSI) are equipped to inspect your structures, identify any concerns, and provide the necessary documentation for the DOB to help you avoid any penalties/fines and ensure compliance.
The QPSI will file their report with the DOB with one of the following classifications:
SAFE, UNSAFE, Safe with Repair and/or Engineering Monitoring (SREM)
Safe with Repair and/or Engineering Monitoring (SREM)
SREM requires repairs or maintenance during the next one to six years in order to prevent its deterioration into an unsafe condition during that six-year period
- When a garage is classified SREM, the following must take place:
- Identify proposed monitoring program (if applicable)
- Identify engineer performing monitoring
- Stability analysis
- Includes factor of safety showing structure is stable under anticipated loads
- Must file amended report within three years giving update on monitoring / repairs / conditions
- Mapping of each SREM condition
- All repairs must be complete before next cycle
- Can’t have same SREM condition two cycles in a row or it would be unsafe (similar to FISP)
- A parking structure is considered Unsafe when conditions are immediately hazardous or will become hazardous in less than 1 year.
- Unsafe conditions must be corrected within 90 days of filing a report with an Unsafe status or within the recommended timeframe for repairs (treated like emergency)
- When unsafe conditions are found:
- DOB is immediately notified
- 311 to be called
- Emergency shoring, Netting, Vacate, etc.
- Failure to maintain violation
- When a garage is classified unsafe, the following must take place:
- Maintain Public Safety
- Notify the DOB
- Repairs to the condition must take place
- Upon completion of Unsafe repairs within two weeks:
- QPSI must inspect the premises & promptly file an amended report
- If the repairs are not completed & an amended report is not filed within this timeframe, time extension requests are to be filed with the DOB
The following structures will not be required to comply with the new inspection requirements:
- Auto Body and automotive repair shops, automotive showrooms, and automotive service stations
- Garages with occupancy of fewer than three cars
- Unenclosed, unattached outdoor parking lots
- Private garages serving one- and two-family homes
- An assessment to be performed by a Professional Engineer (PE) and a report filed with DOB every 6 years for the Parking Garage Structures.
- Filing cycles will be broken down into 2- year sub-cycles by community districts. Find out which community district your building is in here.
- In addition to the formal report, an inspection checklist shall be developed by the inspecting PE for the purposes of an annual observation of the parking garage which shall be required. The annual inspections can be performed by garage or building maintenance personnel with a record of the inspections, which should be made available upon request of the DOB.
Fees & Penalties
|Late Filing (initial report)||$1,000 per month|
|Failure to File (initial report)||$5,000 per year|
|Failure to Correct Unsafe Conditions||$1,000 per month|
|Failure to Correct SREM Conditions||$2,000 (one time)|
- Schedule an evaluation
- Previous engineering reports
- Original structural drawings
- Drawings from previous garage repair jobs
- Previous violations related to garage
HLZAE is here to help you evaluate your structure and prepare to help avoid potential penalties and fines. Our in-house Qualified Parking Structures Inspectors (QPSI) are prepared to evaluate your structures and prepare the necessary documentation for the DOB.
Once any issues and necessary repairs are identified, our team is prepared to take on those updates and repairs to ensure your structure is safe.