Parking Garage Inspections
August 31, 2021
To inspect parking garages and ensure their structural soundness.
- Review of documents related to parking garage.
- Visual inspection of garage.
- Assessment of conditions.
- Submission of report to the DOB.
The rule that applies to the Parking Garage inspection requirements is currently being developed, but the DOB anticipates the following, and the rule is expected to go into place on January 1, 2022. Here are the additional details we have received so far:
- The first report deadline will be January 1, 2024.
- Filing cycles will be broken down into 2-year sub-cycles by borough (we do not know which borough(s) will be first).
- An assessment will need to be performed by a Professional Engineer (PE) registered in the state of NY and a report filed with NYC DOB every 6 years.
- An annual observation of the parking garage shall be required in addition to the formal reporting. This can be performed by garage or building maintenance personnel, the procedure in the form of a checklist needs to be developed by the inspecting PE. Record of the inspections must be made available upon request of the DOB.
The PE will file their report with the DOB with one of the following classifications:
- SAFE, UNSAFE, Safe with Repair and/or Engineering Monitoring.
When a garage is classified: Safe with Repair and/or Engineering Monitoring the following must take place:
- Identify proposed monitoring program
- Identify engineer performing monitoring
- Stability analysis with factor of safety showing structure is stable under anticipated loads
When a garage is classified: UNSAFE the following must take place:
- Maintain Public Safety
- Notify the DOB
- Repairs to the condition must take place
Fines and penalties have not yet been clearly defined by the DOB.
- Ilya Shtulberg, P.E. – Senior Structural Associate
- Bryan Chester, P.E. – Senior Project Manager
- Stephanie Bush, R.A. – Executive Director, Operations
Sorry, we couldn't find any posts. Please try a different search.